Monday, August 30, 2010

Good Luck and Good Fortune

I was thinking about Superstition and Good Luck the other day.  I remember as a young child I would spend an hour or more in a clover patch, looking for that lucky four-leaf clover.  I often found one, sometimes two, four-leaf clovers, and I would feel so happy and lucky.  I would carefully pick that green lucky charm, and I would put it into a book and press it so that I could have it forever, in all it's perfection.  I am not sure where I had heard about these special, rare gems, but when I found them, it felt magical.  There are many other "superstitions" or "beliefs" about good luck or good fortune that I have heard of and I wanted to share some of them with you.



♣  See a penny pick it up and all day long you'll have good luck.

♣ If the first butterfly you see in the year is white, you will have good luck all year.

♣ If the bottom of your right foot itches, you are going to take a trip.

♣ If the palm of your right hand itches it means you will soon be getting money.

♣ If your nose itches you will soon be kissed by a fool.

♣ Knock on wood after mentioning good fortune in hopes that the good thing will continue to occur even after it has been mentioned.

♣ A piece of the bride's cake under a single person's pillow will lead to "dreams of a future spouse".

There are lots of other things we believe, say or do when it comes to luck and fortune, and it's funny how we continue to pass along these beliefs to our children.  What beliefs do you have?

More superstitions can be found at http://www.corsinet.com/trivia/scary.html.

Have a lucky day!

~ Angela Gentile

No comments: