Sunday, August 12, 2012

Anti-Aging vs. Aging Well

Olay Regenerist Advanced Anti-Aging Enhancing Lotion Moisturizer
I consider myself an opponent of this current media campaign called, "anti-aging".  I believe that the message of "anti" anything presents a hostile attitude.  A fight.  My research on the subject has led me to the conclusion that the term "anti-aging" can usually be replaced with the term, "aging well".   I am also a strong proponent of putting an end to ageism.  If we can remove the "anti-aging" terminology from our vocabulary, I think that would help.  It puts aging in such a negative light, playing on our fears and insecurities.

First off, we can't reverse the process of aging.  I believe we can help keep a healthy, attractive appearance at any age by living a healthy, active, balanced lifestyle.  The term "anti-aging" to me sounds like we are trying to fight something that is impossible to win against.

At age 46, I notice personal signs of aging.  Grey hairs are starting to become more and more noticeable.  Wrinkles are starting to form in new places on my face.  Age spots are becoming darker on my hands.  Gravity is starting to get the best of me in certain spots.  The middle-aged bulge, or muffin top is now harder to avoid.  I consider this a normal part of aging, as we see in nature.  It's the inevitable, and a blessing to experience if we are lucky enough to live a long life.

One of the daily routines that I engage in is using a moisturizer on my face in the morning.  It must also contain SPF 15 to help protect my facial skin from unwanted sun exposure.  The sun has been proven to cause not only skin cancer but speed up signs of aging, like wrinkles and age spots.  I had been spoiled using those small samples sizes of skin cream from Lancome (in the bonus packs), and Renergie was something I really liked.  I have decided to try a new cream, called Olay Regenerist Adanced Anti-Aging Enhancing Lotion.  I had heard a lot of good things about this cream.  Maybe it's the big glossy ads in the magazines I read, or maybe it's the television ads, but either way, I'm going to give it a go.  It's a lot cheaper than the Lancome products - $28.99 vs. $79.00.  Plus, Lancome is discontinuing Renergie - How dare they!

Let me know if you have tried Olay Regenerist, or if you have any other comments or questions on anti-aging creams and lotions.

Have an awesome day and age well my friend!

Angela G. Gentile

1 comment:

Angela G. Gentile said...

From Sheila Roy, one of my email subscribers:

Very well written , my dear OLD friend lol.let me know if this Olay Regenerist works for you.i too would like to try it. I must add, at the wedding last night, i noticed the women my age with the not so firm arms, the grey hairs, the larger physique, the wrinkles, the glasses, and the more modest shoes, the varicose veins..but they looked beautiful..and how does one compete with the young girls, braless, strapless, size small, energy laden, stilettos..we don't..we age gracefully, or as you put it...aging well. There is nothing worse than a woman who is older, has earned the right of passage.but yet, acts too young, hip or cool for her age, to fit in with the young people.there is nothing more appealing than confidence.